Wednesday, November 18, 2009

FOR TWO WEEKS ONLY

I was blessed to be given the chance to be in the Philippines for two weeks work and assist my office in the emergency response for the typhoon affected areas. It was such an eye opener for me. It has been years since I last worked in my own country and I had so many mixed feelings.
I arrived in Manila on a friday, with a storm signal no. 3! Did I brought the typhoon with me? I hope not.. I visited several areas within NCR , South and North. My heart bled for my fellow Filipinos who were affected with the disaster and their frustations as well. I wanted to write more about the internal struggle and challenges they all faced but I decided not to since this will cause too much issues.. Let me then just described the strong resiliency of my fellow Filipinos-- even how much they are suffering from losing their house, property or even loved ones. Yet, they still manage to smile.
On the other side of the story, I have come into terms with myself over the time I was there. So many things happened and unforgetable experience that will be kept in my memory. It was a time I guess where I could agree with the saying " When God closes one door, he somehow opens a window". I have meet wonderful people over the time I was there and even became my new found friends. Most of them have come from different age group ( mostly younger than me) which somehow made me feel young again! I have learned a lot from them- the life that they lead, their ideology in life and much more.
I have spent time as well with my old college friends ( plus their husbands & boyfriends) and as usual, we always had to reminisce the old times--where we are still 20lbs lighter! We never had a moment of silence. Then goes another set of friends whom I have been close over the years. Basically, there was never a day or night that I was surrounded with friends--old and new. They have somehow became my support during those days that I was somehow hiding sadness in my heart. -- and Ill say " Thank you so much"! Things would have been so different without you..without me meeting you.. YOu made it all so easy for me :)
The finale of my two weeks stay was the time spent with my son, Patrick. We both had the chance to have the mother and son bonding. I have learned new things from him. He has changed from my " little boy" to " a growing man". I am so proud of what he is becoming to be. He has the sweetness, sense of humour and charm that you cant resist. He has the wit and creativity that was taken from his father. We spent most of our time, walking around and talking over coffee at Starbucks or in the wee hours of the night when we are about to sleep.. our conversation flowed about his plans, his school, friends, feelings, love.. anything under the sun..as if we are just best of friends until such time that our eyes were closed. I miss him so much, and I wish that I will be able to have more time spent with him in the coming months.
To sum it all, it was a great two weeks where it has indeed opened my eyes with so much reality in life, learned a lot from it and memories to cherish for a lifetime.
Till I see you all again..

No comments: